Are your senior neighbors living alone? Without family nearby to help, they might feel isolated and alone in facing the challenges of aging. You can serve as an invaluable source of support to the seniors living in your neighborhood, regardless of your availability. Lending a hand to local seniors is a great way to give back to your community and have a positive impact on the lives of your neighbors. Here are a few impactful ways you can reach out.
Hire Professionals to Help Around the House
Certain professionals can offer help around the house to make your senior neighbor feel more comfortable, confident, and safe while aging-in-place.
- Schedule a local lawn care service for landscaping maintenance.
- Hire a housekeeper to tackle cleaning and laundry.
- Pay for in-home personal care services for help with things like bathing and dressing.
- Hire a financial counselor to offer advice on money management.
Help Them Stay Mobile
Seniors can have trouble getting around, both at home and in town. Help them explore their options so they can remain independent and in control.
- Help them find a walker, wheelchair, or scooter they can afford. Their Medicare plan might help cover the costs!
- Explore safe transportation alternatives for seniors who can no longer drive.
- Show them how to use ride-sharing services like Uber, even if they don’t have a smartphone.
Find Activities to Keep Them Stimulated
Sadly, feelings of boredom and loneliness are common among seniors aging-in-place. Help a local senior discover activities that can keep them mentally stimulated.
- Find some volunteers who would be happy to visit and chat once in a while.
- Show a senior how to use the computer to find movies, shows, music, podcasts, games, and fun activities.
- Enroll them in a local class so they can learn something new and make some friends.
- Teach them a new hobby, like indoor container gardening or playing a musical instrument.
Aging-in-place isn’t easy, especially for people who don’t have family around to lend a hand when things get tough. As a neighbor, you can offer a great deal of support to seniors who are living alone. Reach out and offer your assistance. Your support can make a big difference in someone’s life!
Thanks to Beverly Nelson for this information. You can reach her at email@example.com
You will find my book Parkinson’s: A Love Story with Dementia for Dessert on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Parkinsons-Love-Story-Dementia-Dessert-ebook/dp/B07K4RLC2D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542135434&sr=8-1&keywords=Parkinson%27s+A+Love+Story+with+Dementia+for+Dessert&dpID=41xS3edPH0L&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=srch Your feedback and reviews are most welcome.
If you would like to receive e-mail notification when I post additional content, please sign up through this link. https://wheatmark.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=b84e42b5bf233faa04f6e6bb5&id=484c5dfd34 You may unsubscribe at any time.